Contingent KFOR-14 - deployed in Kosovo (video)
CHISINAU, January 11, 2021 - A new contingent of the National Army was deployed today in the KFOR peacekeeping operation in Kosovo.
The official ceremony was attended by the President of the Republic of Moldova, Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, Maia Sandu, deputies of US and Italian diplomatic missions in our country, H. Martin McDowell and Diego Randazzo, Acting Minister of Defense Victor Gaiciuc, Commander of the National Army, Brigadier General Igor Gorgan, as well as military attachés accredited for the Republic of Moldova.
During the event, the President of the Republic of Moldova, Maia Sandu, mentioned that the performance of the military in various international cooperation activities, constant and responsible involvement in training exercises increases the level of military training and cultivates a professional approach to the importance of promoting peace and security world.
"I am confident that your skills and knowledge will help you to interact effectively with the military of other states and to establish constructive relations with the local population, thus contributing to maintaining a safe and stable environment in the Western Balkans. Dear service members, I still wish you success in the noble mission of serving the country under the tricolor and abroad", said Maia Sandu.
Also, the Deputy Head of the Italian Embassy in Chisinau, Diego Randazzo, mentioned that the participation of the Republic of Moldova in the KFOR mission, which continues today with the departure of the 14th contingent of the National Army in Kosovo, is an already clear confirmation of the commitment of the Republic of Moldova in maintaining international peace and security. "It is a result obtained also due to the role of Italy, which immediately welcomed the proposal to include and support your country in the mission, doing everything possible for this process to be successful," said Diego Randazzo.
The Deputy US Ambassador to our country, Martin McDowell, said that the deployment of a new contingent in Kosovo demonstrates that the National Army of the Republic of Moldova is recognized as a qualified, capable and reliable force to contribute to international peacekeeping missions.
"The Kosovo peacekeeping operation gives the National Army of the Republic of Moldova an invaluable international military experience, allowing Moldovan forces to increase their capabilities and level of interoperability with other armies and demonstrate professionalism abroad," said Martin McDowell.
For his part, Acting Minister Gaiciuc said that over the course of 7 years, about 600 officers, sergeants and soldiers of the National Army had been part of Operation KFOR, with excellent performance in carrying out missions with their comrades in the armies of other countries. "I am sure that the 40 peacekeepers that are leaving for Kosovo are equally professional and will face all the challenges, especially in this pandemic period that has covered the whole world," mentioned Victor Gaiciuc. In the same context, the Minister of Defense thanked the Italian and American partners for the significant support given to the Moldovan contingents in terms of logistics, health care, transport and training. The fourteenth contingent of the National Army consists of 40 professional soldiers, including seven engineers and a platoon of 33 infantry, who will perform security missions and guard military and patrol objectives.
The Moldovan military will be part of the Regional Command-West and will be deployed to the Italian military base Camp Villaggio in Pech, Kosovo.
The mandate of the KFOR-14 contingent in Kosovo will last six months.